Loco Bloco Carnaval FAQ
- Who can register for Loco Bloco Carnaval?
– Youth ages 3 – 24 years old
– Adult family members of youth participants
– Jamestown/Loco Bloco staff & staff/teachers of any Loco Bloco partner sites/schools
- How do I register myself or my child for Loco Bloco Carnaval?
All registration must be done in-person, on site at:
Monday rehearsals January 6 – May 18 at Brava Theater 2781 24th st/York St, 5pm-8pm
Saturday rehearsals March 7 – May 23, 2020 10:30am-1:30pm (Location To Be Announced Soon)
All students under 18 years old must have a parent/guardian complete their registration form
- How much does it cost to join Loco Bloco Carnaval?
There are 2 costs for students to join LB Carnaval:
1.) A $25 per family registration fee:
$25 PER FAMILY PER YEAR – no matter how many kids/programs they are enrolling it is still just $25 per calendar year. If they have already paid for being enrolled at a Jamestown site for the regular school year or Ensemble or any other program then they don’t have to pay again. If they already paid for one child, they don’t have to pay again for a second child.
2.) A costume fee:
– Bloquitos – $50
– Pocos – $50
– Stilters – $60
– Teen/Adult – $80
Families in need of financial assistance may apply scholarship for their costumes (75%, 50% & 25% scholarships will be awarded to families with demonstrated need). Scholarship applications are available at the registration table
All students must register/pay in person – adult must fill out registration on site
- What forms of payment do you accept?
Credit card, check, cash
- When and where can I pay for my fees?
– Monday rehearsals at Brava Theater 2781 24th st/York St, 5pm-8pm
– Saturday rehearsals March 7 – May 23, 2020 10:30am-1:30pm (Location To Be Announced Soon)
- What important deadlines should I know about?
– Last day to register and pay registration fees is April 4, 2020
– Last day to order costumes and pay is April 18, 2020
- What are the age restrictions for each class?
– Bloquitos – 3-5 y/o
– Poco Loco Dance/Drum – 6-10 y/o
– Teen/Adult – 11-24 y/o & any adult family members of enrolled students
– Stilters – 9-24 y/o
- What is the capacity for each class?
– Bloquitos – 20
– Poco Loco Dance/Drum – 30
– Stilters – 25
– Teen/Adult – No Capacity
- Is there a Wait-list if the class fills up?
The classes that have capacities DO have wait-lists available that you can register for at the registration desk. You will be notified by staff if a space becomes available in your chosen class.
- What is your attendance/tardy policy?
To get the most out of practice, we need folks ready to engage in class by 11am. Anyone who shows up after 11:15am is subject to being turned away and counted as absent.
Everyone is allowed up to 2 absences for Saturday rehearsals, after which it is up to the discretion of the teacher as to whether you can continue in the class. Families can come to us to communicate about any special/extenuating circumstances that may contribute to absences which we will take into consideration before dropping students from class.
If a participant is unable to keep up with the Saturday attendance requirements, they are able to join our Spirit section in the parade instead.
- How do I sign my child/myself in/out of class?
Please sign yourself/your child in with your class Teaching Artist or Teaching Artist in Training (this means filling out the sign in sheet, not just verbal/visual communication)
Cut off for tardiness – You must sign in no later than 11:15am (class begins at 11:00am) to be counted as present. If you have previously communicated and arranged with your Teaching Artist for an excused absence then it will not count towards your absences.
Leaving by themselves – When signing out, anyone under 17 years old must be signed out (in person) by their guardian unless permission is given otherwise (on registration). Anyone 18 years old and over can sign themselves out.
- What is the daily rehearsal schedule for Saturdays?
– 10am- Gates open, parking open
– 10:30am- 1:30pm- Registration table open
– 11am-11:15am- Class/warm up
– 11:15am- Gates close, parking closed, classes close
– 11am-12pm- Bloquitos class
– 11am-1pm- Poco Loco, Stilter, Teen/Adult classes
- Will there be costume workshops where I can decorate/personalize my costume?
–Yes! Date/Times/Location Coming Soon
- When could I try a new class or get extra rehearsal time?
– Monday night community classes – Every Monday @ Brava Theater 5-6:15pm (Teen/Adult Dance and Bateria only)
- How can I become an official volunteer for Loco Bloco?
All volunteers must follow these steps:
1.) Fill out a volunteer application online here
2.) The volunteer coordinator will review your application and contact you regarding acceptance into the volunteer program
– Upon acceptance, attend a volunteer orientation (after your application has been approved)
– Dates/Times/Location To Be Announced Soon
3.) Sign up for a specific volunteer role (during your orientation or with Audrey directly)
- How much are the costumes?
– Bloquitos – $50
– Poco Loco Dance/Drum – $50
– Stilters – $60
– Teen/Adult – $80
- How do I place my order for my costume?
Volunteers will be going into classes on Saturdays to take costume measurements for each participant
- What is the deadline to order and pay for my costume?
Must have order placed and be paid in full or scholarship form turned in by 4/18
- When will costumes be distributed?
Costume distribution date TBD
- What is the schedule for the weekend of Carnaval?
Schedule of festival stage show and parade day/location is TBD – info sheet will be released later on in season
- Where will the after parade lunch be?
Directly after the parade we invite all performers and their families to celebrate with a lunch at the Mission Language and Vocational School (MLVS) again at 2929 19th St btwn Florida and Alabama – This is where all students will be signed out & released
- My child is a Bloquito. Can I or do I need to be in the parade with them?
Yes, at least one adult per Bloquito has to parade in our spirit section that walks directly behind them
- I’m not in a class but I would like to parade with Loco Bloco. Is this possible?
Yes! You can parade with us in the spirit section or in a specific volunteer role that was assigned to you by the volunteer coordinator (see volunteer section above)
- How can I stay up to date on everything related to Loco Bloco Carnaval?
A weekly newsletter will be sent out to all registered participants and their families with updated information on everything to do with Carnaval – if you are registered and have not received an email within the first week, please either email firstname.lastname@example.org or go to the registration table to confirm your email address is correct on your registration
- Will I be able to contact teaching artist about my/my child’s class?
Teaching Artists will make intro phones calls home to initiate communication and will also have their own section in the newsletter to communicate class specifics
You can email the teaching artists regarding absences/tardies